|The Final Version|
At nearly midnight on New Year's Eve 2010 I finished and uploaded pictures of this Egyptian shirt for the Folkwear contest. It was fun to make though it is not terribly flattering on me. I do love the design and like it in floor length best. Here I used cream silk noil for the base. The black is a silk/cotton blend. Both pieces were washed and dried before I started. For closures I chose loops and Chinese knotted buttons. The buttons were made by braiding bias tubes from both the black and the cream fabrics together.
Initially I chose to leave the tails on the buttons, but later removed those. Too much like Annie Oakley. They had to go. Either that or add fringe to the sleeves. Not so Egyptian. That version is below.
The neckline is actually a facing that is turned from the wrong side to the right side and then hand-appliquéd in place. I really like that technique because it looks equally nice inside and out. On the back I inserted another braided and knotted piece of the bias tubes. I also hand-appliquéd the sleeve accents. There are in-seam pockets on the black side sections. And here is the truly amazing part. I won. I was one of six winners. The other winner's garments are fabulous.