Friday, June 3, 2011

My Hearts 'a Flutter shell - vs. 1.0109

I still don't have a completely satisfactory version of this fabulous little shell by Louise Cutting. But I think I've figured it out. I have been thinking about something I read on artisan's square from LC. Someone started one of Louise's patterns by making all of her usual changes. And she couldn't get it work. I think I did something similar, so tonight I've retreated back to the original pattern with the size appropriate to my measurements.

But I did learn something from my failures. The armhole really is too low for me. So my plan with the current one is to use bias bindings on the neck and armhole edges, rather than the included facing piece. For the neckline, I plan to use TSW method of binding. I first learned this with the Mimosa top. Attach a double-fold binding to the wrong side, stitching at 5/8 inch; trim and grade, then flip to the right side and top-stitch in place. This effectively takes up the provided 5/8 inch seam allowance. On the armholes though, I plan to just bind the raw edge with self-fabric bias tape. The net effect is like adding 5/8 inch all around the armhole. That is, this will raise it and make it wider over my shoulder.
TSW Binding Technique

Using some lavender crossweave free fabric from church, I have cut out a (really?) wearable muslin. I will test all of this before stitching on the binding. But I feel some sewing karma kicking in. I think it really might work and then I'll have my TNT shell for hot summers. Hooray for summer!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martha,
    I have this pattern as well, inspired by Terri's versions. I haven't made it yet, so I'm anxious to see your top finished!

    ReplyDelete