Monday, December 17, 2012

Breathlessly Continuing HMH

Hand-made Holidays (HMH) continue. One more gift done: PJs for DD.

Despite my enthusiasm for garment sewing, I have rarely succeeded in making satisfactory clothes for DD. Her wedding dress was a happy exception.

Part of my problem is that she is petite and slim. Slim is pretty easy. Petite is not, especially without the benefit of several fitting sessions.

Undaunted I continue trying to sew for DD with these very simple pajamas. McCall's 5992 includes unisex pajama pieces. I made a camp shirt style top and pull-on pants with a combination of elastic and draw-string.

The fabric is a super soft cotton flannel from Tiny Stitches, a local quilt store, in coordinating prints. It was such a pleasure to sew.







The pattern is ho-hum, especially now that I am spoiled by drafting, illustrations, and instructions from Louise Cutting.  I adapted some favorite techniques from her including the addition of a back facing, steps for the collar attachment, and lots of top-stitching.

DD is too slim for my dress form.
I now realize that I should've simply used Louise's version of the camp shirt and her one-seams.

Now if these just fit...

7 comments:

  1. These are really cute and thanks for the tip on the LC patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, to be so slim. Only in my dreams! Cute jammies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky DD - slim and new PJ's! What more could a girl want???

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely PJ's the nice thing about PJ's if they are a little too big it doesn't matter as much - sure she will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irrespective of what goes down... those fabrics together are lovely :) Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Pj's - here's hoping they fit
    Marciae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous pyjamas!! I just adore the colours and prints together.

    ReplyDelete