The pattern envelope contains patterns for children, teens and adults. It is a classic design with the shawl collar, belt in carriers, and patch pockets.
Honestly this fleece was a pleasure to sew. It's fluffy so I used pattern weights, instead of pins for cutting it out. I did learn to never, ever again cut it with the rotary cutter. Something about the depth of the pile and texture - it sank into the surface of my cutting mat and scarred it a little.
Sewing fleece is such a breeze - I had forgotten. Of course, it does not ravel, so no need to finish edges. I haven't hemmed these robes and yet they look finished, I think. I'm waiting for the grands to try them on before hemming.
There were parts of the pattern instructions that were inappropriate for fleece. For example, the neckline/collar seam is to be finished by turning the raw edge of the upper collar under and slip-stitching it in place along the back neckline. I used the old stitch-in-the-ditch technique to stitch the upper and under collars in place along the back neckline seam. The thread completely disappeared into the pile.
There were parts of the instructions that cried out to be ignored. The instructions for creating the belt were surprising. You are instructed to sew across both short ends and down the long edge, leaving an opening large enough to turn the belt right side out.
Seriously, there must be a gazillion ways to turn a tube that are easier than this.
This time I sewed the long edges together, attached a large safety pin to one end and turned it inside out easily. And with this fleece, there was no need to finish the short ends anyway. I made the belt carriers in the same way.
Barbara at sewing on the edge has just posted her concern about patterns with overly-complex instructions that have a low probability of success for the new sewer. And the new sewer may not know of other ways. Barbara is threatening to write a book. I hope she does. I will want it on my shelf. I have a hunch she knows LOTS of the cool tricks.
Because these bath robes were so simple, I decided to fussy-cut the patch pockets so that the pattern would match. I'm fairly certain this detail will go unnoticed by the grands but it's nice to have at least a small challenge. It's the simple things that make me happy.
The pattern has virtually no finishing details and leaves the facing flopping around in the front. This was easily fixed by machine-stitching the facing to the fronts along the facing edges. And I like that extra vertical line.
This pattern is actually pretty well drafted, I think. I will buy it again and keep the tissue intact. It is a classic bath robe. Not exciting, but so, so comfy and useful.