Sunday, February 15, 2015

Covered snaps

Sometimes it's the little things that make me happy. 

Like covering 3/4 inch snaps for my WIP quilted coat. 

A few weeks ago I covered 1/2 inch snaps for a glasses case and a small clutch. I used cotton batik. I was happy with how easy it was as well as the result. 

This quilted coat is definitely not a candidate for machined button holes and I'm traveling anyway. So covered snaps with decorative buttons should work. I hope. 

As long as they don't ravel or stress the loose weave wool, it should be successful. If that fails then there are lots of other options. But today I love covered snaps. 

I started by cutting a rough circle from the brown silk in the facing, collar, and binding. It's large enough to apply a hand gathering stitch and small enough to prevent extra bulk forming under the snap. 

But the silk was too dense. The parts wouldn't even snap together with a single layer of silk between them. I've learned that's the first thing to check. 

The bemberg ambiance lining fabric made it easier to create an opening for the male part. And they snapped to a piece of it with no problem. 

I gathered each snap part inside the lining circle like a yo-yo. Then I stitched it on. At first I couldn't poke the male part thru. 

And I didn't bother with a puncture in the female half.

As soon as I snapped the two parts together, voila, punctures in each side!

Now for the pretty decorative 1.25 inch wooden buttons from Gail K. They have so many lovely buttons. 


  1. Yes, the little things can make a big difference in my satisfaction with a garment. Looking forward to seeing the entire coat.
    I hope you're not traveling in New England. The weather isn't very pleasant here right now!

  2. teeny nice. I think I will need to copy this idea for a wool cardi I am making.

  3. Thanks for this tip. I think I have several upcoming projects I can try it on.

  4. I've struggled with this for ages - thanks for making it simple. Lovely touch.