Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Now Mending

It's that time of year - time to shift out-of-season clothes to a guest closet. And with that shift, I automatically evaluate the clothes I wear most and those I never wear at all. For me, it's fun to see if I can alter the ignored pieces so that I want to wear them again. It's typically some detail I add or subtract. And the details are often the most interesting part of sewing.

First up is my one and only Blouse Perfected, a terrific pattern from the Cutting Line Design. Now why haven't I made that again? It has all those wonderful details found in men's shirts. The fix in this one was easy - one of the buttons was broken. So I replaced the buttons and put the others away for another project.


I love dresses. On other people. Or so it seems. These two are based on a pattern from Indygo Junction, a dress with lovely deep side pockets. Both are linen which is wonderful to sew and to wear. First I added cap sleeves to the blue one and then I changed the angle of the side seam to curve in, just slightly. I do think the overall proportion is better on me with these two changes:


I also added sleeves to the black one, this time 3/4 length sleeves with a draw-string at the hem. As with the blue one, I reshaped the side seam, so that it angles in, rather than out. Now I'm thinking it might be fun to add a draw-string to the cowl collar edge too.



The Hadley shirt from Grainline Studios was last. I actually wear this top a fair amount but noticed that the sleeve hems end in the same horizontal line as the shirt hem. I don't need horizontal exaggeration, so I shorted those to bracelet length. This was not at all dramatic but I enjoy these sewing details. Don't you?




So now I'll never, ever throw away remnants from old projects.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent saves! (Curving the hems inward is genius and I may want to copy it.) Except for replacing buttons you’ve really been refashioning rather than mending. I call it thrift shopping in my own closet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. like your updates especially to the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The details are always so important. Marvelous that you have an eye for them and for what will flatter you. Inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These changes are exactly what was needed to refresh a closet already full of gorgeous clothes! :-) I love the idea of "pegging" the hem of the blue dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete