Sunday, July 8, 2018

Re-entry

The past 3 weeks have been a blur to me as I attended a workshop at Shakerag, followed by a brief week at home, and then a week+ in Colorado with family. I'm home for a while now and I cannot wait to start a sewing project!

While in Colorado, mostly Breckenridge, I've been hiking, biking, and painting. I had the opportunity to shop at Fancy Tiger Crafts in Denver. What a sweet and inspiring store.


In fact DH and I went to their shop soon after landing before the huge family reunion began. You can see I'm a bit rumpled  from cross-country travel in my Sewing Workshop MixIt top and Hudson pants.

I stumbled across Fancy Tiger Crafts on Instagram initially where I admired the sewing and knitting projects. I am not much of a knitter but I loved their fabric and pattern selection. Their pattern selection was the most fun for me because it included brands I typically would need to order online.


I bought three patterns and one cut of fabric that I believe is cotton but may have some linen in it. It is a cross dye in black and white producing a textured look I love.


They had an interesting selection of fabrics too, including these Pendleton wools. If I lived in Denver, I would have been tempted by those.


The remainder of last week was spent primarily enjoying family activities. Breckenridge and the surrounding Rocky Mountains are wonderful for outdoor activities like biking and hiking. Also there was much inspiration for painting.


One of my favorite events was painting and drawing with my grandgirls.


The week prior to leaving for Colorado I scrambled to complete two pair pants from TNT patterns - cropped Helix pants in navy ponte and the Hudson pants in a textured rayon, all from the Sewing Workshop. The Helix and Hudson pants are real favorites of mine from the Sewing Workshop.

Helix pants require stretch fabric and have a smooth waistline.

Hudson pants require fabric with drape. I took mine in about an inch at the ankle for a bit more shapping.

The week before I was in Sewanee TN for a Shakerag workshop with Christine Mauersberg. We spent the week in meditative hand-stitching. It was delightful. I've learned that I may or may not make something I love in these inspiring workshops, but I always carry something useful into future sewing (or sketching) projects.


As it happened, Linda Lee from the Sewing Workshop was teaching right down the hall from our hand-sewing classroom. I made a few trips down to her classroom for further inspiration, as well as to visit with Linda and her fabulous students. I left with the fabric for my Helix and Hudson pants above.


So I'm back now, doing laundry, and dreaming of what I will make next.

Shrine Ridge Trail near Vail CO

I hope you are making something right now!

Street art on July 4th in Breckenridge CO


6 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, I wish we could cross paths sometime. It would be great fun. If ever you are in the southwest....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - I will definitely let you know if I travel near your new home. I'd love to take a workshop with you or just have a glass of iced tea together. I hope you'll do the same if in the Atlanta area. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Martha- I did not know about the Shakerag workshops, they sound wonderful. I will have to check out next years offerings.
    My clothing needs have changed now that I am retired and I have started to explore Sewing Workshop patterns move. Your makes inspire me.
    Fancy Tiger is a wonderful place. I live in Denver so get to visit it frequently!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your trip here to Colorado. Elfriede's fabrics in Boulder is a great store - if you have the budget for it, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped to go to Elfriede's but with the family activities, I ran out of time. Maybe another time!

      Delete
  4. What a delightful idea, to sketch and paint for your grandchildren. I would do that if I had the slightest ability, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete