Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Now is the Time


Now is the time for all good women to come to the aid of their country. Remember that? Typing 101, late 60's, I think.


I must admit that I resisted making the masks. I tried hard to duck. But then I jumped in.

When I hit 100!
Like you, I'm guessing, I tried a number of different patterns. My first, and frankly my favorite, is the domed version that is intended to extend the life of a real N95 mask by covering it. Then the DIY part can be washed and reused.



I like the overall shape. But they are quite fiddly to make. So when I really geared up production, I had to streamline things.



I also came to appreciate the ease of use that the ear loops provide. Of course, like everyone else, I ran out of elastic a long time ago.



I have a box full of 2.5" strips that were donated for my sewing camp. By cutting them down to 2", I was able to make some fairly nice ties.



I also had/have several cotton knit remnants in stash, and those seem to make ear loops that are very comfy and useful.


I cut 1.5"  strips cross grain and then gave them a good yank to make them curl. Then I cut 7" pieces to insert in the ends of the rectangular pleated version.


In my most streamlined process. I did the following, in large batches.

1. Cut 2 pieces of cotton each 6"x9".
2. Sew the long sides right sides together.
3. Press seams open over my clapper and then turn right side out. Press flat.


And here are some happy mask models:



And now I'm done. Unless someone else asks for one. Then I'll make more.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Great job on your part. I have some Filti interfacing coming -- supposed to be very efficient in filtering. When that arrives, I'm ready to sew again. Where did you find your pattern for the fussy curved style? Thank you for your efforts to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a pattern from an Atlanta-based FB group. It's a PDF. If you'd like a copy, please let me know an email to use. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha,
    I'd love to have that pattern, too! My email address is gayle@gocapitola.com. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete