Saturday, April 9, 2022

A Return to the School of Making

This past week I once again entered the nirvana of hand-sewing goodness, attending a workshop at Alabama Chanin. I attended my first workshop last year and was absolutely delighted to be able to attend again. I still learned a good deal this year, but was less worried about where I was going. I think I enjoyed it more this year. 

The facility is very low key in a warehouse district of Florence AL. You would not even see it if you weren't looking for it. The front half of the facility is a store with mostly garments for sale ($$$$$), as well as beautiful Heath pottery. 

To one side, they have positioned items for the School of Making - patterns, trims, thread, bundles, and racks of samples in various sizes for participants to try. All is displayed in a functional but curated Alabama Chanin style. 

The first morning goes fast with introductions and an explanation of the kit each participants selects as part of the price of admission. We have until about noon (!) to make our decisions. This year I chose the Fractal dress. I was surprised by how much I liked the sample, as I was expecting to go with the Factory dress, one I had tried on last year.

Everyone fell in love with this stencil design and color combination on a Peacoat.  I think many went home with exactly that kit - the Peacoat in two layers of Earth cotton knit, gray stencil paint, and Abbie's Flower stencil. Here is a shot of the work on the store sample:

I chose the Peacoat pattern for my kit last year.  I made it in Peacock-colored knit for both layers, black stencil paint, and the New Leaves stencil. It was fun to sew, though parts were a little challenging. This year, because so many people chose the Peacoat, they offered a tutorial on some of the unusual aspects of its construction.

I always feel good when I wear it. Their organic cotton feels very cozy, but not sloppy. I so like the way the two layers of knit meld to one another, as you embroider each section.

Since a 20% discount is offered on all purchases made while attending a workshop, I of course purchased a second kit last year. I chose the Alabama sweater pattern modified to bring the neckline up a bit. The outer layer is gray (Dove) and the under layer is red (Carmine). The stencil is called something like Text. I did not see it in the offerings this year and I understand why. It does not provide much space for cutting away the top layer to reveal the bottom layer, a typical technique used in AC garments. 

My selection this year is the Fractal dress with two layers of brown (Earth) knit, Abbie's Flower stencil, and the blue-gray stencil paint. 

I'm using a light gray floss for the embroidery part. Brown is just about my favorite color and I love wearing silver jewelry. I think this combination has a kind of southwestern feel to it, a good combo for this Texas girl.

First piece embroidered at home

My beautiful kit was delivered the second morning. They work hard over a short period of time to deliver kits to us all. The kit contains each of the pieces of knit cut out and stenciled, ready to start layering and stitching. It also contains tons of embroidery floss and button craft thread for the seams. Instructions are photocopied from the pattern and included. It is packaged in an organic cotton case and tied like a gift. A double layered sample is included so you can try out the techniques before started the kit. Here is mine completed during the drive home. 

As I did last year, I chose not to actually start my kit during the workshop. Throughout the rest of the our time, the excellent teacher provides short tutorials on each of the AC techniques for applique, embroidery, and construction. A lovely lady came out and demonstrated her beautifully crocheted snap covers. I gave that a brief try and decided to simply admire hers!

There are 5" square samples available, some with stencil designs, some plain, so that we can try out all of the techniques and see what we like in terms of technique and color. That is what I spent most of my time exploring. 

And did I mention that they feed us and dote on us for the three days? The ladies running the workshop are deeply southern in the most positive sense of that word, always cheerful, encouraging and responsive. Natalie Chanin stopped by briefly the last afternoon after many of the participants had left but it is really the young employees' show. It's like a spa for sewists.

I am now back home enjoying the first hand work on my new Alabama Chanin kit, getting a feel for how much I will cut away and what I will retain of the stencil. I will savor the process and look forward to the finished piece. 

And, yes, I did select a second kit. After all, there was a discount so I had to, right? It arrived today: 


I may need to start it now and not next...







4 comments:

  1. As a big Chanin fan, I love your blogs about the workshop and your creations. Therefore, I think you should do this every year!! I have wanted to attend one myself for awhile. Your choices look wonderful and can't wait to see what you have done with them. You always seem have your own twist that makes them even better. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you make me want to go!!! I've visited the Factory but never taken a workshop. Fun. Love what you've made, can't wait to see what you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! Are you going to Shakerag this year? I'm taking Susan Brandeis in Session II. Would be so fun to share that hand sewing with you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I hope to go to the same class you're in! I'm first on the waiting list. Fingers crossed.

      Delete