Sunday, July 23, 2023

More Eco-Printing

 I am addicted.


I could not resist trying these eucalyptus leaves, leftovers from arrangements at church on Sunday.


I've learned that dogwood leaves from my yard are predictably good prints.


Here is the first layer of leaves, a combination placed on a length of cotton canvas that I've used previously.


Next is the layer of blank watercolor paper.


Here's my second layer of leaves. There will be a different set of prints on both sides of the paper. It is sturdy enough to resist bleed through from the leaves. I had trouble identifying the *right* and *wrong* sides of the eucalyptus, so I just ignored that aspect of the process. Note that this new layer of leaves means that the paper is in contact on both sides of the paper.


After one more layer of cloth (cotton muslin that has been used in previous prints), it is rolled tightly around a dowel and secured with cotton twill tape.


Then it's squeezed into the pot for some time simmering. 


It cannot be submerged completely in this pot so I'm on the look-out for a larger pot from the thrift shop.



The next day, I enjoyed the big reveal - some pretty prints on the cotton canvas.


After the paper has dried completely, it is fun to see the difference in the dogwood leaves and the eucalyptus leaves.


And here is the other side of those watercolor papers. I am enchanted - bookbinding is next!








2 comments:

  1. That is really nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I just watched a class on Eco Printing on Skill Share. They used an electric turkey roaster for the heating process. I had one in the shed that's getting a new life. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete