Friday, February 9, 2024

Against Trend on the Toaster

The Toaster Sweaters pattern from Sew House Seven is a Best Pattern of the Year (2017) over on Pattern Review with 98 reviews! It's been simmering in my stash for a while, so in keeping with my semi-New-Years-Resolution to use what I have, I sewed it up. I kept pulling the pattern out, thinking about all the people who love it on Instagram. And I have had a French terry in stash for a while too. Check. Check.


About that French terry. I think I bought it from the Sewing Workshop a few years ago. It is a beautiful clear royal blue, a color that makes me happy. 


As you may know, terry refers to the fact that it is knitted so that there is a smooth side and a looped side, like you see in a standard sweatshirt. I had not sewn with it, except to fix my sweat shirts. 

Lucky for me, Gini, of the Big Sew Along on Youtube, did an episode, "Everything I know about French Terry." Gini does lots of pattern reviews on her Youtube channel and occasionally fabric reviews. I learned that the loops on the back function to wick away moisture, making a garment comfy in various kinds of weather. That function, though, is limited to cotton and cotton blend French terry. A burn test revealed that mine is rayon. Dang. At least it's not polyester.

It's not like I don't ever buy rayon. This morning I'm wearing a kimono I made with rayon challis. I enjoy wearing it over my PJs and feeling a tiny bit dressed.  And I already owned this rayon French terry, so...

All of this to say that my first experiment with the Sew House Seven (view 1) was not successful. The envelope lists Sweatshirt fleece first and French terry second. And it has a helpful stretch diagram to make sure you choose a knit with enough stretch. And this rayon French terry has plenty of stretch.

But it is too clingy. Well, that's rayon knit in a nutshell, I think. It is good for me to note that. My bad.

Based on my measurements, which admittedly I took after-the-fact, I fit comfortably into size L. So I traced and made a size L - view 1. I chose view 1 for my first try with this incredibly popular pattern*.

O.M.G. I just read their description of view 1 - it is described as *close fitting* !!! Oh, the things I learn when I compose these blog entries. Well, totally my fault, y'all.


I chose view 1 due to the ragland sleeves which I find easy to fit. But now I realize I got exactly what I ordered - a close fitting top in a clingy knit.

I did make some changes to the pattern. I lengthened it by 4 inches in order to omit the lower band. I took a 2" hem. It's too short. I also omitted the cuffs on the sleeves, figuring I could add those later. After my first try-on, I reduced the side seams from 5/8" to 1/4". It is still not a particularly good look for me.

It shall be worn under other things.

Next time I will measure the tissue in key areas, like the tummy area. I will test the stretch of the knit. And I will tissue fit through the shoulders.


I've just discovered some Black French terry in stash. Luckily it's cotton. Maybe it will become view 2 of the Toaster Sweaters pattern.

* You should see all those happy Sew House Seven Toaster sewists over on Pattern Review, as well as Instagram. People love this pattern, I'm telling you. I shall not give up!

7 comments:

  1. I'm not the only one with a poor result from the toaster sweater! Sorry, I'm not rejoicing in your problems, but I thought I was all alone and thus never posted on pattern review because I didn't think anyone would believe me. I also think my fabric choice was part of the problem - a waffle sweater knit with plenty of stretch. But that, too, should have worked. I made the other view, and it's the sloppiest looking top ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How reassuring! Thanks for posting your similar results.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I also had the same result, albeit in the Simplicity version. One was enough. I am with you on clingy knits, cut close. I don't like them and just don't wear them, other than as winter underlayers. Frankly, I'm not crazy about them on others either but that's me. I have found that I go 3 sizes up for any rare Big Four knit pattern to be happy with the results. Your top looks fine on you but I agree, it's not you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top looks great on you in the pictures. Love the color!
    But it's all about how it makes you feel, isn't it?
    Appreciate the detail you wrote on the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour. Could you put a black knit band down each side to loosen it off the way you want it to be. You’d have to put a gusset in the sleeve too? Sometimes I think it’s the contrast between what we expect and what we get that’s the biggest disappointment but maybe a sweater knit would be better for a follow up? Anyway I’m sure you sewed it perfectly, your makes are immaculate. Trish S.

    ReplyDelete