Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year, New Project - The Verona Coat

With the new year well under way, and my sewing expenditures already mounting, I'm starting the Verona Coat with well-aged light-weight wool from the Wool House in Toronto. They always come to Atlanta for the Sewing Expo. I bought this piece almost 3 years ago. As I say, nicely aged. I made the Verona as a short vest in 2010 and have enjoyed wearing it. This time I'm following the instructions fairly closely. I learned some things on the vest - some things worked out great, some not so great (the join between the collar and the front edge, for example).

The wool is probably what's called tropical weight and has a nice hand to it. It's a joy to sew, very cooperative under the machine foot and pressed beautifully. It's a cross weave or shot, with black threads on the weft and off-white on the warp thread. The overall effect is of course gray. I tried using black dupioni silk as the contrast in the collar and pocket top but it's too stark so now I've decided on using the wool for all pieces. It may result is a rather boring garment (I hope not!) but I'm pretty sure I'll get more use out of it this way.

OK, wrong, I'm not following the instructions perfectly. I already dislike the pocket - it is unlined. This would be fine with some fabrics, but this light-weight wool needs lined pockets, so lined they are! They look a lot longer than in the picture but, for now, I'm sticking with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment