Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Haiku Two



The Haiku Two jacket pattern was a remake of their original Haiku pattern. And now it too is out-of-print. What a shame. It has that Japanese, Miyake-like cut and shape that was the signature of the Sewing Workshop, early on.

I made the original Haiku a looooonnnnngggg time ago out of black and white herringbone silk. I remember wearing it while sitting in a meeting one time right after I became department chair. Maybe it was Valentine's Day.

It's probably good I cannot find a picture or any evidence of this original Haiku as I think it wore me. It was ginormous. It had these glorious deep patch pockets. I wore a thick red heart brooch with it.

When the Haiku Two came out, with its less voluminous lines, I intended to make it too. Finally I did and here it is.



The fabric is wool men's suiting, very light weight with great drape. It was a cut piece from Gail K in Atlanta. It was a dream to cut, press, sew. A truly lovely piece of cloth. The pattern does not call for lining which is fine by me. Living in the southeastern U.S.A., I get a long better mileage with an unlined light-weight wool coat.



I'm not sure why the Haiku Two is OOP. I think it is such a pretty style.



I love the lapels in the front. One can never have too many vertical lines.



I love that the sleeves are raglan in the front and cut-on in the back. The pattern pieces are crazy shapes!


And I love all the top-stitching.



Finally I love that it still has the glorious deep patch pockets.


So far I've worn it once. I think I'm going to have to shorten it. It is still too voluminous in this longer version. That means sacrificing the wonderful pockets but I can probably add smaller ones. Or maybe hidden ones.



Or maybe I should leave it alone!




13 comments:

  1. My vote is leave it as is, it looks gorgeous and pockets, do you really want to sacrifice those pockets? Well, that's my two cents. Love the fabric choice, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning and I think you should leave it. However, you are the one wearing it. But I think the last photo shows how good it looks on you. I have been looking forward to seeing it since you teased us on Instagram. I also love your sewing: it is impeccable. I never feel like yelling at the monitor about learning to press while sewing! Thank you for sharing. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe more narrow pants or a pencil skirt at above knee length? Although I am way past skirts, short or otherwise. I too would hate to give up the pockets. Maybe you can just move them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hoarding the original Haiku coat since its introduction, just never quite ready to sew it up. But mortality looms, and I need to make that thing! Thanks for your example.

    The only other SW pattern I have that is now OOP is the Origami Blouse. I love that thing. It even looks good when worn with the Origami Skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a truly special jacket! Personally, I love the length of it and those pockets!
    Once again you have provided me with inspiration...so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please leave it be, it looks so lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another vote to leave it at this length! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the length, but you need to be happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote to keep the length too! I think it is lovely on you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric and I would love it as you have it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you leave it as it is – it looks wonderful on you from this vantage point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your jacket. How sad that that great pattern is out of print.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete