Sunday, April 28, 2019

Class with Linda Lee



My local chapter of the American Sewing Guild recently brought Linda Lee in to give a workshop and make a presentation at our semi-annual meeting. The class centered on the Tremont jacket.


Even though I've made this jacket twice, of course I took the class. And, as expected, it was inspirational and made me want to sew even more. In fact, it made me want to sew more Tremont Jackets. Here is one Linda brought in corduroy:


For the class I chose a piece I had purchased from the Sewing Workshop a while back. It's a double knit blend of polyester, rayon and lycra with interesting texture and color. Because it's a knit, the drape is quite lovely.



I mostly finished the jacket during class. I came home with only hems and a button remaining to finish it. But other projects kept jumping in front of it. I finished the hems and even wore it without a button.


I finally added a buttonhole and button to finish it. At Linda's suggestion, I searched a found a buttonhole on my machine designed especially for knits. I made one sample and it worked perfectly. As usual, it's the little things - like learning about something already available on my machine - that make my happiest.


It took me a while to select the right button and attach it. But it is now in use!



Oh, and check out this tip from Marian Scopa in the Atlanta ASG chapter. Several years ago, she demonstrated a simple but elegant way to sew on a button without that initial ugly knot:


Cut a length of thread and thread both ends through the eye of a needle. Allow the loop formed at the bottom to be longer than than the two ends. Take a small stitch where the button is to be placed and slip the needle through the loop before pulling it tightly. I think there must be a name for this knot but I don't know what it is.


This was easy and fun.

3 comments:

  1. What a pretty jacket. I know the class was fun. The tip for sewing on buttons is great and I'll give it try next time I sew on a button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete