Sunday, April 14, 2019

Mix It Top, again



And again and again. This is probably the most often reproduced one in my collection - the Mix It Top from the Sewing Workshop. The pattern envelope contains the shirt, the top and the tank. I've made the other two, but the top is my all-time favorite.


After my last sewing fiasco, I was ready for some meditative sewing and some color. This project was just right.



Each time I make the Mix It Top, I adjust it. This time I altered for a forward shoulder and straightened the shoulder seam line. The original seam line is a gentle S curve, something I've not seen in any of their other patterns. With the forward shoulder change, I just straightened it out.



I measured the circumference of the sleeve cap and the armscye. This led to a 3/4 inch reduction in the sleeve cap for a smoother finish.


I also included a back seam that helps with a slight curve in my upper back. Oh, the wages of age - always need a few more tweaks in my older patterns.



That said, this was pure zen sewing. The fabric is a luscious green silk dupion that I washed once. I noticed that there is no give in either length-wise or cross-wise grains, so I cut the pieces cross-wise. This way, the slight linear slub runs up and down. I may send it to the dry cleaners now to keep the color rich. I just love this color!



As usual I was short of fabric and so used a piece of plaid silk taffeta from stash for facing the neckline, the sleeves and the hem. The neckline is a current favorite of mine, inspired by the Egyptian shirt from Folkwear.  Often when I make this modification, I turn the facing to the outside. This time, I turned the facing to the inside so that the facing shape is only visible in the top-stitching that holds it in place.


That plaid is way too wild for a stand-alone piece, but I really like it peaking out from the edges of this top.


It was lovely to sew and when I put it on, it fit. Perfectly, I think. I will of course make more Mix It Tops. It's just right for upcoming hot weather, especially in cotton.

This makes me happy.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! The fit looks perfect and the color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this top. Green silk elevates the style and such a great colour especially the pop of plaid. Appreciate the time you spent on fit - important to get a smart boxy top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous shade of green! And the contrast facing is so cool. Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous, and you were due for some zen sewing. I bet it left you in a good place. I hope you wear it in good health and a spring mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - I love the color. Inspired, I dug out my pattern! In doing so I found the o.l.d. - TSW origami skirt - on hard paper in the original blue. Are you interested? If so pm me and I'll send. I'm gone for the day but will be back tonight.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, yes. I'll send you a check. Just tell me how much. Now I'll see if I can figure how to PM you! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I thought I still had your add but don't
      marciae39atgmail

      Delete