Tuesday, June 30, 2020

More June Sewing: the Nikko Jacket


If you're a Sewing Workshop groupie like I am, you may recognize this vintage pattern. It is called the Nikko jacket.


About 8 years ago, I made a muslin for it and decided not to make it. I guess that's one of the few times I've made a muslin and really used it to make a decision.



But I kept the pattern and found myself returning to it from time to time.


A while back, BSF found and purchased for me black cashmere from Gail K. I kept it for a while. It's gorgeous but I could not decide on the best pattern for it. And I have to be in a very patient mood to sew with such a deep dark black. It's like a black hole. Everything disappears into it.



I'm glad I decided on the Nikko jacket. Even though the temperatures have been topping up in the 90's (and it's humid), I know I'm going to love wearing this come winter.



The fabric was wonderful for this pattern, though, of course, I did not have enough. As usual, that was a good thing. I created a separate lapel and made that with black silk dupioni. I also used the silk for the back neck piece and all facings.



This fabric is so yummy and does not fray at all. I used this feature to make some of the seams overlapping and I did not hem the sleeves, instead just cutting the hem off carefully.



I could have left the body hem raw edged too, but I love the mitered corners on the side slits.


I have not yet added the patch pocket, but I may.


I had to fiddle a bit to get the welt pocket to be acceptable. Initially I tried it with the silk dupioni but it was too wimpy. The welt collapsed in an unattractive way. So I pains-takingly unstitched it and made it in the cashmere.


It is unlike any welt pocket I've ever made. In order to properly control it, I sewed much of it by hand. I'm rather fond of those little pick stitches that show.


I inserted the pocket backwards. Shhh. Don't tell anyone.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! I love that. It's a pattern that will never become dated. I'm in search of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your cashmere version looks so much nicer than the original muslin. The silk lapels really add a touch of class - a bit like a tuxedo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! You've really done your cashmere justice!

    ReplyDelete