Monday, May 27, 2024

Denim separates

These were completed a while back. I love denim for sewing, for comfort, for wearing. Like many my age, I grew up wearing jeans, mostly after I left for college, returning home in my bell-bottom jeans.

The jacket is constructed using a basic kimono approach. I used one continuous piece of denim for the front and back, then two pieces for the sleeves. Lastly, I cut the front up the center, forming an opening and a neckline. I added a strip of denim to the front edge and back neckline to complete the kimono. 

It is very much like the Japanese field clothing hippari (pattern #112), which I have made so many times that I don't pull the pattern out anymore.

I narrowed the sleeves about 6" at the sleeve hems, down to nothing at the shoulder. When I fold the hems back, it will stay in place. And I added nesting pockets.

And then I proceeded to thoroughly enjoy myself stitching sashiko-style designs. So meditative.

I had a smallish piece of heavy cotton painted by Diane Ericson's son, Miles. It became the sleeve facing, the hem facing, and the little pillows at the ends of the cords. I may go back and add ties also on the side seams so I can close it fully and wear as a top.



The pants are made with the Sewing Workshop plaza pants, cropped for warm-weather wear. I'm not seeing it on their website, but periodically they remove old patterns, later to bring them back.

The pants have seams down the center of each leg, and no side seams. At first I thought it might be fun/cool to top-stitch down each side of those seams, sort of sashiko-inspired. But that stitching came out pretty quickly after I finished.

Even though this is sort-of an ensemble, it's unlikely I'll wear them together often.



3 comments:

  1. lovely! and per your final pic, both a garment and a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vancouver BarbaraMay 30, 2024 at 9:21 AM

    That is one stunning outfit. I also think the pants look better without the stitching. I love the way you did the stitching on the jacket. How did you make the little pillows at the end of the ties?

    ReplyDelete