Friday, June 28, 2024

What I am making now

Whoa. June is almost gone and just what have I been making?!? I've been traveling quite a lot and have only bits and pieces to share.

I was so excited to visit the lowlands in Scotland, building the trip around an opportunity to spend one night on the very special island of Iona. I do hope to return.

While on that side of the lowlands, we stayed 3 nights in the port city of Oban where I happened on a sweet little fabric and textile crafts store. The main attraction for me was all the Harris Tweed. I guess I could've gone home then, from a sewing perspective. But not really - the rest of the trip was focused on family and fun, all good.

After Scotland, we met up with family at Lake Garda in northere Italy. No sewing related items to share, except that I did not include clothing appropriate to such high heat and humidity there. I thought I had covered that, but not really. I should've brought something in lighter colors. All my layering pieces in dark colors failed me.

me and my BSF!

After a few days at home, I was off to one of my Very Happy Places - Shakerag Workshops in Sewanee TN. This year, I took "Imagined Landscapes" with Arounna Khounnoraj, of Bookhou. She is a lovely person and an enthusiastic teacher. She also is open to learning from her students and sharing knowledge. Luckily for her and her family, she appears to be a good marketer too!

Left is a piece from the free table, Right is after a marigold dip!

We played with natural dyes - indigo, madder, marigold, onion skins, avocado, as well as an iron pot that I avoided. We also painted with thickened soy milk, as well as fabric screen printing ink. 

Each of us worked on one central piece around the title - imagined landscapes. It was fascinating to see all the different takes on the theme. For mine, I used pieces of indigo dyed and madder dyed cotton. I also had a piece of dark blue batiste with me that I incorporated into my piece, using free-form applique and reverse applique.

I came home with lots of yellow from the marigold. I'm not big on yellows but I'll use those pieces somewhere. I used an old table cloth I picked up at a thrift store. Those old textiles really love the dyes!

an early sketch

This was an early, warm-up piece for me, using a piece that was first painted with the black screen printing ink. Then I added some thickened soy milk paint, before dipping it all in the marigold. Super interesting results but it will probably just go into my *parts department*, as Diane Ericson calls it.

the brownish parts are from painting with thickened soy milk

Toward the end of the week, Arounna walked us through the construction of a triangular pouch. This is also a free tutorial on her youtube channel. I have not finished mine yet, partially because I like it in this state. It reminds me of a tiny soft shoe.

I'm so excited about attending Shakerag next year when I hope to attend a class with Merill Comeau. I've longed to take a class with her. Fingers crossed it all works hope.

When I returned from Shakerag, where it was also a bit hot, I took to modifying some dresses. I wore each of these at Shakerag and realized I wanted to change the necklines. For the Tessuti dress, the Eva in silk noil (thank you, BSF!) I simply added some embroidery. It was too plain.

For the Sewing Workshop dress, the Memphis, I lowered the neckline and added a striped binding, instead of the previous mustard binding. Now I may go and add a side seam pocket. It really needs a pocket. Sandra Betzina's description of adding such pockets in her Power Sewing is easy-peasy.

I'm also working to finish the hand-stitching on my Imagined Landscape. And I've started a new-to-me pattern from Diane Ericson, the River Tunic, which is designed to be one size fits all and nearly zero waste. Already scratching my head but lots of play left.



1 comment:

  1. I’m so pleased that you had a lovely time in Scotland and experienced the high heat and humidity we have here ( not everyone takes our heat/humidity aversion seriously ;). Lovely tweed too! The changes you made to your dresses are great, both quite inspiring. I must dig out some of my less loved makes and update them. Hope you have a happy sewing summer. Trish S.

    ReplyDelete