Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Vogue 9081 - Marcy's Block Dress



This is my second version, this time in - surprise! - linen. Marcy calls this the Block Dress, for obvious reasons. The versions on the cover of the pattern are pretty with the color blocks but I had all this orange linen. The lines of the dress are still visible but not so obvious. After all, it is orange.

I don't know why I bought a piece of bright orange linen, but I do love the vibrant color. This orange is most definitely NOT the new black. It is not subtle, or particularly versatile, or ubiquitous. But that color - oh, my - it makes my heart sing. So I guess I'll wear it. For now, I am content to have it on my dress form with my Anne Williamson scarf at the neck. A cheerful companion in my workroom.


For both of my versions, I have raised the neckline by about 1.5 inches.


The cuffs are a nod to Lucille Ball who wore the house dress so beautifully. A friend wears knit shirts sporting the Pam Emy *Split Cowl Collar.* I wondered if a similar idea would work for cuffs. I like the result.


Adding my Ann Williamson silk scarf is almost too much. It is such a gorgeous scarf and the complementary blues in the scarf are just stunning, I think. No wonder Ann is so successful. She has such an eye for color.

But will I wear it?

I think so.

6 comments:

  1. I think you'd better wear it! It's such a happy colour especially with the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange is coming across on my monitor as hot pink. Lovely either way! I guess I'm going to have to pick up this pattern next sale, and I do love your cuff treatment - AND Lucy was/is one of my all time FAVORITES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you wear it! And I hope you show us a photo of you wearing it! I love this color. Good choice. How was the pattern to make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love that! Right now I am wearing an orange linen "Lily" dress, and I just love it, such a vibrant color. But when I walk over to my office I do sometimes wonder if I look like a traffic cone with feet... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we see this on you. I'm really interested in this pattern. Please? And I love love the color!

    ReplyDelete