|First attempt with Olive, from The Sewing Workshop|
Olive, a pattern from The Sewing Workshop (TSW) has haunted me for 5 years. That's the last time I tried it out. It was too small and I gave it to my DD who probably waited a while and then donated it. Her style is subtle with a strong preference for neutral, light colors. This one was decidedly not understated.
So I graded up to M/L and tried it with this tissue knit. IMO, knits are cantankerous, unpredictable yet forgiving. I think it's my strong need to control things that gets me in trouble with knits. That, and my impatience.
Because I wanted to highlight the interesting twisted seams, I decided to insert a narrow strip of striped fabric into each vertical seam. That worked OK. As I was sewing the last vertical seam, I figured out what I should have done. That worked great.
What I should have done: Sew a 1 inch strip of striped jersey to one raw edge, right sides together. On this first pass, I could establish to final position of the strip with a outside width of 3/8 inch, allowing for a 5/8 seam allowance. Lastly I sewed the regular seam with the basting stitches on top. I stitched right on top of the basting line. Hope that makes sense.
|The pattern calls for a zipper that is purely decorative, so I omitted it.|
|The sleeve has a vented detail.|
Sewing was another matter. This tissue knit feels like I'm sewing jello onto air. I kept changing feet and adjusting stitch width until it was finally done. Hooray for done. I have decided that I need to stop buying these tissue weight knits. Too much woo-woo for me.
This one is entirely wearable and I won't be foisting it on DD.