The Hudson is a nice basic, a canvas for great fabric or a special technique. I have been wanting to try my hand with the AC reverse-applique technique for a while. In fact, I've made two samples and tested them in the washer and dryer. This knit behaves beautifully.
Both the black and the red knits are considered light-weight, but there is some noticeable difference in the weight. The red is a bit lighter. I found them to be close enough for this technique.
These knits are stable and not very stretchy. They like to curl on the edges so I played around with that but let it go. They also like to stick together and to my high hip fluff. A-hem.
Because I had already made up TSW's Ivy tunic with my cut of black knit, I had only small remnants to use in this shirt.
After sewing the shoulder seams, I opened it out on my sewing surface wrong side up. Then I placed some pieces of the black on the shirt, also wrong side up. After pinning each piece in place, I hand-basted around each remnant.
Next I flipped the pieces over and used my quilter's pounce and a hexie stencil to transfer the design to the right side of the shirt. The real AC technique involves paint and so a lot more effort, IMO. I stitched around each chalked hexie using a running stitch and size 8 perle cotton thread. It's quite a lot like sashiko, so I loved this part.
Lastly I cut out some of the hexies, allowing the black backing to show. This is where the tendency to curl really shines. It provides a nice finish to the raw edge.
|wrong side of shirt after completing it|
I tried playing with the curling action to create a cuff but ultimately cut it off. I stitched plain hems and push up the sleeves for comfort. No need to try everything in one garment!
Now I want to apply this technique to a full garment. This was a fun make.