Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vogue 8746 - a basic white shirt

Vogue 8746 is a quiet little shirt pattern with nice lines, I think. I like the pleats at the shoulder, as well as the collar. The collar reminds me of collars I've seen on the BBC series "The House of Elliott." And I wanted an excuse to try out the tower placket from another Vogue pattern - 1204.

Issey Miyake cuff
My last shirt, Vogue 1215, was a bit challenging to fit because I did what I usually do as a slightly pear-shaped person - make the size matching my bust measurement and then make sure the hips are big enough. And the shoulders were too large. That's not overly easy to fix.

sleeve gusset
So with Vogue 8746, I decided to do what Louise Cutting recommends - a kind of slash and spread approach. I started with a muslin of only the shoulder area to get that right. Then I split the front piece as well as the back piece and spread them enough to provide adequate hip room. The fit was really pretty close.

Except for the sleeves. The upper sleeves were too tight. I compared the measurements to other shirts I've made and this one is much more close-fitting. So I inserted a gusset in the underarm seam of each sleeve.

The result is a pretty basic white blouse - a go to item, not too exciting on its own, but definitely a nice filler in my wardrobe.

4 comments:

  1. your shirt looks lovely - having just made my issey miyake shirt, I like the cuff too.

    You will get a lot of wear out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've chosen you for the Versatile Blogger Award. If you like, you can visit my blog and grab it and post it on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fairly new sewer and I just made this shirt in red cordoroy and it feels and looks great. The sleeves were too tight too and I added a bias strip to make them bigger. I'm stumped though - what side does the button on the sleeve go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you look at the sleeve from the back, the button is on the side closest to the back. That way, the side with the button hole flaps over the button to fasten. If you look at a man's shirt, you can see where the button is too. HTH. Martha

      Delete