Thursday, February 13, 2014

Barbie was a Feminist.

Yes she liked a little R&R at the beach.
When I first met her, Barbie was a feminist..

It was the 50's and Barbie was the first (as far as I know) action figure for girls. She could do anything, go anywhere, and she always looked chic. Yes, her figure was laughable. But she represented what could be in most every other way.

“My whole philosophy of Barbie was that through the doll, the little girl could be anything she wanted to be. Barbie always represented the fact that a woman has choices.”
- Ruth Handler (creator of the Barbie doll)




But she could be all business too.
Guess it's been a while though.

She definitely inspired my love of sewing. There is no remaining evidence that I made clothes for her (and does she need any others?) but sew for her I did. Teeny, tiny clothes. Not beautifully constructed. Lovingly constructed. And I still love to sew. And I hate to see her maligned so.

The snow is melting so normal programming will return shortly.

2 comments: