Sunday, May 11, 2014

Simplify Your Life

The latest pattern release from Cutting Line Designs (CLD) is named Simplify Your Life. It contains two very cute tops, each with a different twist, both perfect for upcoming Hotlanta weather.

Finally I have finished view B, which at first blush, appears to be very, very simple. As with many CLD designs, there are subtle, clever characteristics that make it fun to sew and wear.

The obvious detail is the buttons running down one shoulder to the sleeve hem. It actually slips over my head easily but I like this detail at the neckline.

Found pretty buttons at Sawyer Brook while visiting last week. It's probably apparent below that I need to adjust their placement a bit.

And, oops, I have it on my dress form backwards. (She is actually shaped like me. I'm just not quite that buff. Ha!)


And the top has great opportunities for top-stitching, a signature detail for CLD patterns. I do like the look of top-stitching, especially on this cotton shot fabric. It is shot with navy in one direction and lavender in the other, yielding a rich bluish purple. And the top-stitching definitely shows.

What I did not realize in advance is the placement of the shoulder seam. It sits right on my shoulder, right where I prefer a shoulder seam. And the top-stitching highlights it.

The sleeves are curved and roomy - perfect for the upcoming hot humid weather here.

It has a slight shirt-tail hem that I think is universally flattering.


Not the best proportions here, probably better with pants.

And the neck/button opening facing is quite clever. I used remnants from a favorite printed linen from Sawyer Brook.


Fun pattern - I'll make it again.

7 comments:

  1. You're right! Looks nice and comfy for hot summers. Haven't made this one yet. Love the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful top! I love the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is super on you Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a cute, wearable top, great color on you, and perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a lovely top, and you're right, the details are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute top. Nice to see how well the buttons worked out. And I love the addition of a printed facing. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMM! I love that top! I may have to check out your links and make me one! ;-)

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete