Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Winter White

I admire winter white especially during the cold months when nature is in stark relief. I see these gorgeous winter white wool coats. I even bought one when I moved from Texas to New Jersey. Winter white does me no favors with my coloring but it is appealing. For this reason, I am really enjoying looking at this clothesline bowl that I made yesterday.



Lynn in my Fiber Art Fusion group did a lesson on this technique a year or so ago. I obediently bought the clothesline but never did anything with it, until yesterday.



Now if you are looking for something mindless and calming, making a clothesline bowl may be just the balm. I found it to be both mesmerizing and even a little exciting. And some days you just have to make something, anything. This filled the need for a quick and satisfying make.



Armed with $6 worth of Household Essentials cotton clothesline and off-white thread, I started. First I hand-sewed the initial teeny-tiny spiral. Even so the first rounds were a little tricky. Then it became zen. One hundred feet of clothesline later, this is what I have:



Lynn wrapped hers in beautiful cotton batik strips. Gorgeous. You know how rich those cotton batik colors can be.

For now, I will stay with winter white. It might be fun to dip it in a dye bath. I wonder if it would take the color.

If you would like a lovely and inspiring tutorial, see this one at Flossie Teacakes.

9 comments:

  1. Oh that is so beautiful! It has so much integrity in it's simplicity. Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bowl!!! I think you've pushed me over the edge to give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, wear the winter white and add a colored accessory. I think you'll wear it well, but then, you wear everything well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently made two tote bags with clothesline covered with cotton strip scraps. Like you said - a bit of a zen project. Love your bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha, I just posted photos of the tote bag on my blog.

      Delete
  5. I just had to say that i really love that. I think it will take dye or color very well but looks great as is too. What do you think you will use it for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this!
    (how do the strands of rope stick together to make the bowl?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using the zig-zag setting, it is sewn together. Thanks.

      Delete