I came home from the workshop, dutifully cut the pattern tissue apart and put it aside. So here I am a year later pulling this pattern out to try. Small wonder I have managed to lose the pattern piece for the handles.
This fabric has a small story. It is heavy cotton canvas, a traditional ticking weave. I purchased it my first day at Sew Kansas 2016 thinking to make a pair of Valencia pants, a sort of wearable muslin. I took it to my brother's house and laundered it, supposing it would soften up. It did not.
If anything it became more crisp, more stable. This was lucky as I would have been very disappointed in my project. Luckily I also picked up a remnant of gray cross-weave linen at the same time and laundered it. That lovely fabric became my Valencia pants. And they are great. I will post a photo soon.
|One zippered pocket on the outside.|
|Pleated pocket on the other side|
|I did not have magnets handy and so used Velcro to close the bag.|
I had to experiment with the handles since I had lost the pattern piece. The final handles are about 22 inches long. I cut two 4 inch wide strips of red Kona cotton and folded it in half length wise. I pressed this crease, opened it up and pressed both long raw edges to the center fold. After a good steam press, I top-stitched it in place about 1/8" from each edge. This made a nice sturdy pair of handles.
I was over this pattern before I finished the bag so I got in a hurry. I made some slight changes in the construction. I did not box the bottom corners. And I inserted the straps before completing the bag. The instructions are to complete the bag and then sandwich the raw ends of the handles in the upper corners, top-stitching in place. These do make sweet tucks, but I am good with this bag.
Fun quick project. I like making the occasional bag. This is more of a tote, as I prefer a small handbag.
The Sewing Workshop binge continues. I have a new Peony vest cut out.