Sunday, August 30, 2015

Wabi Sabi

White linen is an example of wabi sabi, I think. Imperfect, impermanent, incomplete.


It also lovely to press, fold, stitch and shape. 

These are pictures of one of two pillows I made for my daughter for her birthday. It is a technique from Stitch Magic by Alison Reid. This is beautiful and informative book, as is a similar one, The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff.

Linen is so cooperative and open to suggestion that I did not even use an iron, except to square the starting rectangles and to square up the finished rectangles. Finger pressing achieved just the right look in these intersecting tucks. No sharp creases, instead soft folds along the grain lines.

Though it was tempting to leave the intersecting tucks as seen above, I was unable to resist the urge to complete the technique by pulling the small flaps back on themselves to create the impression of knots:





I forgot to take a picture of the pair together. The other one was the same size (12x18) but the tucks are more scattered. What a fun and satisfying small project.




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Martha! I have both those books as well - they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete