When Rae from Fit for Art reached out to me about participation in a fashion show at the local Expo, I gladly said yes. They are such nice people and I like their system of garment construction. I have each of their base patterns plus a few of the pattern variations.
Their first pattern was the Tabula Rasa, or blank slate. It is an easy-to-sew and fit pattern with a narrow front, a narrow back and a side panel. The sleeves are inserted in an interesting fashion that I cannot adequately describe. I've made both jackets and vests from this pattern.
Their next pattern was the Eureka pants pattern. These are fitted pants with darts in the front and back for proper fitting. When this was issued I was fortunate enough to go to the Expo where they set up a little booth and fit me perfectly. Then I lost weight. But because the fit was correct to start, lost weight did not change the overall fit. I simply took in the side seams and they seem to still fit nicely elsewhere.
Their most recent pattern is the Carpe Diem dress pattern. Here they have created another *blank slate* modeled after the original jacket pattern. Of course I ordered it right away. But I had not made one yet.
I used the invitation to model as a reason to make my first Carpe Diem dress. It was fun to sew and I will enjoy wearing it. I chose cotton pinwale corduroy from stash in a gorgeous royal blue. It was an easy fabric to manipulate though I was careful to iron from the back side of the fabric.
It is a little larger and a little shorter than I expected. I fit into size M according to the measurement chart. I wasn't sure about whether to make straight side panels or angled ones but decided on the wider angled ones to make certain this corduroy did not get stuck on my hips. I think I could take it in but, for now, I'm leaving it alone.
The pattern includes a long dress hemline, as well as a *medium* dress length, and a tunic length. I cut mine along the medium line. I'm not all that tall at 5'5" (and shrinking) but I notice the ladies at Fit for Art are petite. As long as I wear leggings or tights, I think it's OK.
To ensure the longest length possible (yes, I should have checked finished back length first), I cut 3" bias strips in a remnant of cotton striped fabric. This allowed me to take it up only 1/4" when I hemmed it.
Just for fun, I also used the striped fabric for the neck facings. This part of the construction is nice, as the facings get caught in the vertical princess seams.
I finished it the day before the fashion show. Whew!
After the show, I went back and inserted pockets in the side panels and added a striped facing to the sleeve hem too so that I can roll the sleeves. I found the sleeves to be just a bit short too.
It was a pleasure to make this up and I hope to make some blouse versions next. I might go down a size but I'll take finished measurements before cutting fabric. What a good idea, right?
The Carpe Diem dress can be finished with a zipper in the back or a key-hole opening. I wanted my version to be V-neck and I wanted it to slip over my head. To accomplish this, I simply drew a straight line from the shoulder to the center front on my fabric. I measured to make sure it would slip over my head.
Then I made the same change to the front facing.
The only other change was a slight forward shoulder and rounded back adjustment. Once again, Fit for Art has created a super versatile pattern, I think! Nice work, ladies.
Today I woke up and just needed to make something. So I pulled out some quilt cotton that was gifted to me and constructed a little bag. It fits my new phone or sunglasses. Some days I just need a little taste of sewing, nothing serious.