Thursday, October 17, 2019

Scissor Cozy


Since my last post, I've been sewing a lot, but for now I'll report on this charming *scissor cozy,* designed and offered for free by Svetlana, of SotakHandmade.

I follow her on instagram and enjoy seeing her clever videos showing her version of quilt-as-you-go, with small rectangular scraps. This is a zen activity, and a lovely way to honor all those pretty scraps I cannot toss.

Svetlana is a master bag designer. I've bought a few of her patterns and enjoy the slick finishing techniques. Her scissor cozy is a good example, and something I've needed for travel.


I really like the way she's engineered a clean finish at each end of the zipper. If the zipper needs to be cut, it must be cut at the bottom. The top finish involves folding the zipper tape at a 45 degree angle, out of the way, as you sew.


The bottom of the zipper is finished with a fabric tab sewn across the end. The tab shows and adds an artful detail, IMO.

I included some of my favorite fabric remnants and quilted them to flannel pieces rough cut larger than the pattern. After quilting I trimmed each side down to size. The pattern calls for quilt cotton for the lining, and suggests interfacing the lining. My lining is a remnant of cotton pique. It has enough oomph without any interfacing.



My little cozy just returned from a trip to NH to see son and family, as well as those gorgeous leaves at this time of year. If you are interested in seeing more inspiring scissor cozies, you can see them on instagram.



So what are you sewing?


No comments:

Post a Comment