Thursday, April 30, 2020

Seeking Color


Lately I've been hungry for bright color. Maybe you've experienced that too. Staying at home means I see fewer colors in my daily activities even though my neighborhood is beautiful right now. This piece of nice cotton designed by Sarah Campbell for Michael Miller fabrics is just right for adding a lot of color to my environment.



My first make in response to this need is this variation on the MixIt top. If you read this blog often, you may know that this is a TnT pattern for me. I like the fit and the various options for a simple summer top. This is the first one I made years ago. It is still the top I reach for most during warm weather. It has faded to a dark pink.


This time I used my modified neckline with a shaped facing. This allows me to keep the simple collarless neckline with a vent in center front for ease of wear. I used this wonderful, always useful black and white striped light weight linen from the Sewing Workshop.



I really like the hem on the Cottage shirt. It is 6 inches deep and gives the top nice drape. So I adapted the hem of the MixIt top to also have a deep hem. Like the modification to the neckline, this hem treatment is not really noticeable.


And did I mention how much I like this black and white striped linen for accents? It may make an appearance in lots of future garments. Not only did I use it for the neck facing and the hem, I also used it to finish the edges of the short sleeves.


And that's it. Such a simple, satisfying make.


I might wear it with these Hudson pants that I just finished in the black and white striped linen. Or I might not. I like the pants but I think I bought the fabric with the idea that all remnants would be fun to use.


1 comment: