Monday, April 1, 2019

Berwick Street Tunic



Happy April! This is spring. The sun is out. I'm happily making clothes. And the temp is 35F. Maybe not spring yet. But I have my first make (clothes) in the studio since the official start of spring, March 20. It's the Berwick (pronounced Ber'ick?) Street Tunic, a new one from the Sewing Workshop.


I like it. A lot. It has a sweet mandarin collar, and hidden front placket closure, some pleats strategically placed in the mid-section, and sharp set-in sleeves.



I made this first one from a light-ish medium weight printed cotton. The pattern is printed in groupings that look like broad stripes. I played a little with that, cutting the right front cross grain.



The included sleeves have a bias vent closure at the sleeve hems. I'm not overly fond of that treatment so I installed a standard sleeve placket, using Cutting Line Designs excellent instructions in the The Blouse Perfected.



I'm realizing that this makes the blouse a bit more masculine. I can see where the continuous bias closure is a bit softer. Maybe I'll use that next time, especially if I use a soft, drapey fabric.



Also I may take a little pleat the sleeve before applying the sweet narrow cuff. I think it's a little big and needs just a bit more shape.



Other than the sleeve finish, I made no changes to the pattern.

Things I love:

  • the fit in the shoulders. 
  • the clean serged finish for the side vents (great new-to-me technique)
  • sweet mandarin collar
  • narrow hidden front placket




This is a cheerful shape and I quite like it with slim pants like the Helix pants or Pencil Pants.



6 comments:

  1. Love your fabric choices, this makes me want to try this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tunic! I may have to try this pattern :-) Also, where did you find the lovely fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought it online at the Sewing Workshop.

      Delete
  3. Love the fabric. I wasn't too keen on the pattern and just put it in the drawer when it arrived. I think I'll take it out and fool with it. Beautiful job. Inspiring as always.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making the Berwick tunic you made and having trouble understanding the hidden buttonhole placket- is the front side loose? That seems to be the way the directions are written but I have never done one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a flap, about 1" wide, that is open to the right front. The button holes are under that flap. That flap is open from the neckline to the top of the skirt. HTH!

    ReplyDelete