Saturday, June 18, 2022

made my heart sing

Of course, if you've ever read my blog, you know how much I love fabrics -  textures, natural, especially linen. Occasionally I spot a piece that makes my heart beat just a little faster. Has that ever happened to you?

Recently I was shopping at Five Eighths fabric shop in Charleston SC, as I often do when visiting DD. They straddle the themes of quilting and garment making, with a strong focus on cotton. On this occasion, I had already selected my fabrics and they had been cut for me when I took one last look around.

There in the (mostly) quilting cottons, I spotted this beauty by Marcia Derse. I have made garments with her cotton designs before and knew it would work for a garment. Plus it was just so very gorgeous, I had to have it.

After checking out, I told her not to worry about putting that one in my bag - I planned to admire and pet it on the way home. 

After much consideration, I decided I would love an Esme dress, one of the patterns in Lotta Jansdotter's book Everyday Style. I had made it as a top and wear it all the time. So I was pretty sure I would love it as a dress.

I added inseam pockets which I love.

I guessed at the length and it was a little short, so I made bias facings for the hem. Bias binding on the neckline and a simple turned-up hem on the sleeves finished it off.

Of course, I added a little something on the back neckline - this time a loop from a bias tube.

I am still crazy about this fabric. 

7 comments:

  1. Love it when your blog pops up. I am a fan of Marcia Derse and this print is no exception. Such a pretty dress and I bet very comfortable. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Martha! I just did the Esme in a muslin and have ordered an Ankara wax cotton for the dress. I did add four inches to the tunic length and will have to take a couple of inches off the sleeve for
    3/4. I think it’s a very flattering pattern and your fabric choice is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sew the cutest things and that fabric is really singing.

    ReplyDelete