Monday, November 20, 2023

High Five

I made something! An actual garment. And I am pretty crazy about it. But it is not for me. It is a gift. Oof. It's hard to let it go. And, of course, I don't have to do so. But I want to. Really, I do.


This super-cool, amazing fabric was a gift from a fellow University of Texas longhorn fan. Actually she's a much more loyal fan than I am. Though I have 3 degrees from the humongo university in Austin, I don't really follow them the way she does. Over the years, when she would visit her sister in Austin, she'd bring me a little momento.


The most recent gift was this very nice cotton piece of fabric. It is not your standard cotton-with-a-logo which is printed on very cheap almost-quilt-quality cotton. This is more of a fine pique. It was a dream to sew.


This lovely friend has developed tremors and cannot sew now. And her sister died. And, yet, she still thought of me when she was cleaning out her stash. I said thank you and gave her a hug.


Then I decided to make something for her, a little jacket for *game day.* I know in my heart of hearts that she will enjoy it more than I ever could. At least, that is my sincere hope. 


The pattern is the High Five, one of the Shapes patterns developed by Louise Cutting of Cutting Line Designs, and Linda Lee of the Sewing Workshop. They jointly developed a series of easy sewing, easy fitting garment in this line. The High Five jacket, is the best one.


And it is stinkin' cute, in this rather unique piece of fabric.


In her honor, I will watch the big game this Friday. I will visualize her cheering them on in this jacket.  We will share some joy or sadness with the results. I am lucky to have a friend like this, for sure.


Sewing friends are the best.




5 comments:

  1. It is VERY cute. Lucky you and lucky friend.

    I hope you'll show us your fault lines project soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's so cool! I know your friend will LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious gift for a precious friend. Wonderful. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!
    your friend is going to love it. Good job!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for being a reliable source of inspiration in the online space.

    ReplyDelete