Sunday, August 7, 2011

Aspirational Chop

I aspire to Art. I make clothes, though mostly from patterns created by others. Maybe someday I will be an artist who makes wearable art.

In the meantime, I'm working on a label to put in (some of) the clothes I make. The garment I am currently working on is as close as I get to wearable art. It is my first garment since taking Mary Ray's class. Her garments are as beautiful inside as out and include her trademark label. So I thought I'd work a bit on my *chop.*

A while back I took a class with June Colburn entitled "Making Your Own Chop." We were to design a chop, a Japanese signature in block form. Such a signature is seen often in Asian art. Hers was lovely of course, a wonderful stylized version of her name. Mine failed to emerge during class or even afterwards.


Then this occurred to me. I like that ART is in the middle. I even like that HA is at the end. It's not to be taken too seriously, after all. Then the mountainous M. I rather like that too.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that label is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Martha! Thank you for the link to Mary Ray as well. She does some lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one fabulous label!!! Almost makes me wish my name were Martha ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. "Martha" is such a solid name. Evocative of strength and sense of duty. How lovely that you have found the ART in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. "Martha" is such a solid name. Evocative of strength and sense of duty. How lovely that you have found the ART in it.

    ReplyDelete