Saturday, March 10, 2012

Coco, Expo, and American Craft

Louise's booth at Atlanta Expo

A new-to-me pattern, inspired by Sandy Miller's class

pottery by Alex Matisse

Sandy Miller teaching some interesting patch pockets
I've been out of the blogging loop for a while but I have been sewing. I'm always sewing on something. But sometimes it's hard to blog about it. Mostly I've been working on my Coco jacket (Vogue 8369). I never, ever would have guessed how many steps go into a garment like that! Quite an education for me.

The past few days have been filled with sewing inspiration and learning. It's been so much fun but I am oh so anxious to now make something and make it fast. I am in the middle of my Coco jacket which is anything but fast. Hmmm...

There were two major events figuring into all this inspiration and education. First was the annual Sewing Expo here in Atlanta. I was only able to attend on Thursday, but it was a very full day. I started with a class by Louise Cutting on one-seam pants. I am very anxious to make a pair of these. She totally empowered me!

Then I took a pockets class with Sandy Miller. She of course was also oh so inspirational. Who would have thought that patch pockets could be made so many different ways? Great opportunities to use a small piece of special fabric to ratchet an ordinary garment into an artful garment.

And of course there was Louise Cutting's booth - chocked full of inspiration and fabric calling my name.

That evening I attended another fabulous class - piping details with Cynthia Guffey.

My brain will definitely explode if I do not go ahead and sew something!

Then the next day I attended the American Craft Council's show here in Atlanta. Each year there seems to be more and more fiber art. Wow. Gorgeous work. Inspired work. Wearable work. And more than a few ideas I want to incorporate into my own sewing.

And I bought a piece of pottery from Matisse's great grandson. Other than the newspaper article on him and one of the best locations in the show, you would never know this 20 something - 30 something? I can't tell anymore :( - was related to greatness. His pottery is really lovely and quite distinctive I think. Not at all reminiscent of his great grandfather, but impressive nevertheless.

Small wonder I could not sleep last night.

3 comments:

  1. Sigh. I missed the Atlanta Expo again this year; just too many irons in the fire for me to make it. But I thought about it! Often! Maybe next year... Glad you got to go, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the garments you were inspired to make! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had more sewing expo's and classes available to us - in my home town there is nothing so everything involves a lot of travelling and usually a stop-over to go to anything.

    Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had some great classes. Now I expect you to pass along some of that hard-earned information! I hope you can bring some neat pockets to the next meeting.

    ReplyDelete