Saturday, March 29, 2014

Thai Wrap from Folkwear


I really, really liked it. In fact, I thought it was exceedingly cute until I took a photo.

Now I know that the mirror lies. Of course, I encourage this. This little topper feels so good. It looks good on the dress form. It was fun to sew. It seems to fit. Must be a success.

Then I checked out the pictures. oh.

Folkwear's South Asian Tops and Wraps (#134) has been on my mind for many years. I was first attracted to it when I saw Elizabeth of the late (sniff, sniff) Waechter's Fabrics wearing the Thai Wrap Blouse on a hot summer day. She had omitted the long sleeves, and voila, cute summer top.

Finally, yesterday, I cut out a muslin. A wearable muslin made of denim. Denim is a favorite fabric, especially after seeing Anna Toth's winning collection at the recent Charleston Fashion week competition.

Unfinished here, but already too short
Denim is such a delight to sew as well, especially this light weight washed denim (100% cotton) from Gail K. It tears in both directions. It presses beautifully. It is ideal for top-stitching.

There are many things to like about this interesting pattern. There are only 3 pieces if you omit the sleeves: the front/back piece, the center-front wedge, and the collar band. The front and back pieces are cut as one, so there is no shoulder seam. The triangular addition to the front section creates a secure wrap and lovely princess lines. The curve of the side seam adds the illusion of a waist.

The fact that some SAs are 1/2 inch and others are 1/4 inch is a little odd, but consistent with the Folkwear use of traditional ethnic clothing construction techniques.

My main concern is the length. It's too short for my not-all-that-tall 5 feet 5 inches, I think. And I'm not sure how lengthening it would affect the silhouette. I wonder if it would be an interesting vest for a sheath?



Perhaps I should make another, longer muslin. Or add the sleeves back. Or use it as a vest. Or make another pattern. Or just go back to quilting.

How can I save this cute pattern?

13 comments:

  1. lengthen it and use a somewhat softer (more drapey) fabric????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, it IS cute, and especially so on the dressform. I think the denim is what is putting you off of the look. Perhaps a softer fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear a longer tunic under it in a different shade of blue. It's all the rage these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the same thing Paula did. It really is cute and I agree with you...I would want it longer, but if you leave it the way it is...just wear a longer top under it, you'll be styl'n big time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has tons of possibilities! It's very close to being right. How about adding a little length to the back only, giving it a little sweeping action in the Bach. And also consider breaking up the front with a bit of silk screen or stencil? You have so many options with this, go for it

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a cute top. I'm with the commenters that feel it needs a bit of length. Somehow, to my eye, the proportion is not exactly right. I'll be you figure out a save. I, too, love denim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me, the length looks ok, but try a longer top underneath if you want more length. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very cute! Mine has long sleeves, and I agree that it is short. I use mine as an overblouse with a longer black tank underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi too cute not to save - for this version can I suggest a pleat in the sleeves at the middle at the hem - the length and wideness is not helping the overall look IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Martha, I really enjoy following your blog and have nominated you for the Liebster award! You can check out the details on my blog :)http://10sewingmachines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it too, in principle. I think part of the problem is the tie hits you right at the waist, and the angle of the crossed front also points there, which (at least from what I can see) highlights that area and makes you look a little boxy. I hope that doesn't seem offensive, you and I have similar figures and the effect would be the same on me. If you embellished it towards the shoulders or neckline, that would draw people's attention upwards. and the longer layer underneath is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Jacquianne about a pleat in the sleeves. I think the fabric makes the sleeve a little too stiff, and I'd like to see a little more shoulder definition on your body. Also, I'm totally over ties, and would find a great button for the closure. And I prefer it closed rather than hanging open--neat neckline. And add an inch or to in length. It's a great pattern with lots of possibilities, but like most of the Folkwear patterns, it doesn't allow for female curves. I think I would cut off the whole sleeve and insert a bust dart, to eliminate the wrinkles. This is my opinion, of course, but I think that boxy clothes only look really good on straight-line bodies.

    ReplyDelete