Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Workshop Wonder

There is nothing like a good workshop to revive your creative spirit. Last week we at Fiber Art Fusion held our long-awaited workshop with the one and only Susan Brubaker Knapp. If you are at all into quilt art, then you may know that she is the host of Quilting Arts on PBS. She is also a frequent contributor to Quilting Arts magazine. She has an article in the current one, sitting on my bed-side table.

Susan is the best kind of teacher - enthusiastic, patient, intelligent, accomplished, and seemingly free of ego.

The two-day workshop is titled Whole Cloth Painting. We started with a photograph of our choosing. Susan was happy to review these via email so that we each chose wisely. It was such fun to see what everyone selected. Here is my whole cloth painting (left) at the end of day 1, and my photo (right):


The picture was taken by my son, titled Cold Morning. If you look closely, you can see ice crystals along the edge of the leaf.

Painting anything is a stretch for me. Like others in the class, I felt a little hopeless at times. But I know that frustrating moment is when I am on the verge of something wonderful.

By the end of day 2 I was hooked. I came straight home and painted into the evening.  Here (on the right) is the current state of the piece:


I have an idea of what I will do next. Hope it works.

Susan and me
Thanks to Susan and my fellow travelers for a delightful workshop!


And what a great space we rented from SEFAA here in the Atlanta area. We got to break in the glorious new sink!


No comments:

Post a Comment