Thursday, December 10, 2020

Egyptian Night(gown)

This is a classic pattern from Folkwear. It's called the Egyptian shirt and is shown on the cover as a shirt or tunic with much embellishment. The pattern illustrations also show a caftan length, something worn traditionally by men in the middle east, I think. I added 22" to the standard one to make it close to floor length on me. 

I've made this several times in each length, and I've used the neckline facing technique more times than I can count. It's a nice finish for any otherwise plain neckline. The facing is shaped and sewn to the inside of the garment instead of right-sides-together. Then the facing is flipped to the outside and edge-stitched in place. This facing is the place for much of the suggested embellishment.


I shortened the front vent in order to simplify things. I did not want to mess with buttons or other closures. The front vent is just long enough to allow it to slip over my head. 


As I was sewing this one, it occurred to me how very similar it is to the Fit for Art Tabula Rasa jacket pattern. The front and back pieces are long and narrow. There are side panels, and T-shaped sleeves that are first attached to the side panels and then sewn to the Front/Back in one long continuous seam.


In the original Egyptian shirt pattern, there is actually a seam down the middle of the side panels. This allows for an opening to a nice little pocket. The pocket bag is simply stitched behind the panel and part of the side seam is left open. Super simple.


And super dangerous in the kitchen. I'm constantly catching the pocket opening on the drawer and cabinet hardware. So, for this version, I just made patch pockets on the side panels. Not as elegant, but much safer. For me.

I used some aged silk noil that I dipped in indigo once upon a time for the front, back and side panels. I did not have enough for the sleeves and so used another eco-dyed (or eco-splotched) piece of silk noil. I made no notes and so I'm guessing it was dyed with iron, vinegar and maybe yard debris. It's a bit odd.

You know, there are those who wear nightgowns, and those who wear pajamas, and those who don't. I am really a PJ gal, but have had to change my thinking of late. Three weeks ago, I went airborne in my kitchen, trying to dodge a poorly placed laundry basket and broke my knee cap. Yes, it hurt. A lot.


Since my little tumble, I've been in a full leg brace 24x7 and PJs are not practical. I've even switched to 100% dresses for day wear. I found myself wearing an older version of the Egyptian caftan and decided to make a back-up. 


Easier said than done in this leg brace, but I managed to finish it somehow. I used a combination of my Bernina and my mother's 1950 Singer. The Singer is lovely, and has one of those knee pedals. I managed flat-felled seams on that long seam that connects the Front/Back to the Sleeve/SidePanel. And I enjoyed wearing it last night. Just right.


Since I enjoy eco-dyeing, I'm now wondering if it would be possible to dip those sleeves in something without disturbing the indigo body of the garment. 





3 comments:

  1. I don't see why you couldn't dip-dye the sleeves. Even if you only got the wrist ends in the dye bucket, you might achieve a lovely ombré effect. Or an un-lovely ombré effect ... either way, you'll have an answer.

    I have loved (and purchased) Folkwear since before they were bought and published by Interweave Press. The stories that accompany the garments are worth the price of the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to read about your broken knee cap, that sounds awful and I wish you a speedy recovery. Your Egyptian Nightgown is really nice and sewn in silk noir sounds so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, so sorry to hear about your kneecap (don't know if I have heard of anyone breaking that before) and wish you all the rest and healing you need. This caftan is perfect for recoup around the house. I like the contrast of the two fabrics.....I would leave it (my opinion).
    Boy howdy are you right about this being very similar to Fit for Art pattern.

    ReplyDelete