Monday, March 18, 2013

Sewing Dress

Hannah celebrated her 7th birthday yesterday. Where does the time go?

front - can you see the pockets?


Pocket detail
Two years ago I made her this dress in a size 5. It is called the Ice Cream Dress by Oliver and S. In fact I made two from this pattern two years ago, one for each of the eldest granddaughters. H loved this dress and called it her Sewing Dress. She wore it and wore it, until her cute spindly legs were just too long for it to work as a top, even.

So this year, I made her a new one. If she enjoys it half as much, I will be very happy indeed.

I had fun matching the front pockets. I used that technique I've seen several places where you cut out extra pattern pieces for the pockets - one for each pocket. Then, with the transparent tissue still attached to the front, you layer on the pattern tissue and trace the fabric motifs. Then you remove the two pocket pattern pieces and fussy-cut them from the fabric, lining up the little motifs, here bird houses. Voila! Pockets that seem to float.

Happy birthday, sweet girl!

1 comment:

  1. I miss having little ones to see for:( such a cute little dress.

    ReplyDelete