Friday, May 3, 2013

B5881 Start-up

Butterick 5881 is a dress designed by Katherine Tilton for Butterick. Blogger Seams Well has made one and it is lovely. So here goes.

As for fitting, I could tell from the reviews it might be a tad short for me. I could tell by a quick measurement that the neckline was too deep for me. I wondered about the armscye too - looked like it might gape. 

So I made these changes:
  • Added about 3/4 inch to the bottom hem. This will likely be the finished length as I plan to bind the hem.
  • Raised the front neckline about 2 inches. Still slides on over my head.
  • Raised the underarm about 1/2 inch. I'll still need to pull it in a bit - maybe with an easing line, maybe by increasing the SA.
Dresses are very appealing. And comfortable. And breathable. Should be perfect during dog days of summer.

Now I'll have to get over my white legs and my mature arms, but my tummy will be camouflaged a bit. I hope. Oh, yeah, it will definitely be fine.

Such an interesting design. It should be fun to make. Got some plaid remnants selected from the stash. 



The muslin should be wearable as the underdress. It's a soft light-weight denim.
This is not too bad as a little slip of a dress.

8 comments:

  1. lol at the white legs and mature arms.....I feel you oh too well ;D

    I just ordered this dress...getting more into dresses, for the same dog days reasons....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the looks of this... did you even out the hem? (the pattern line drawings make it look slanted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathie, the unfortunate shadow in my picture makes it look like an even hem. It is not - it is slightly shorter on one side. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 'darling son' tells me all the time that I look 'pastey white!' - we could all nearly start a club!!! This dress looks ideal for summer days ...J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martha, It looks really good so far. I love the current style of loose, fun dresses. um, does this pattern have a dress underneath and layers on top? Are you using the underlayer as your muslin? I'll just come over to your house and look, ok? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes. I'll put on a pot of tea. Come on over!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to your plaid version. I'm still trying to find the right shade of linen for another version.

    ReplyDelete