Monday, April 29, 2019

It Must Be Spring


I made a dress!


The idea of wearing a dress crops up every spring. I start seeing interesting and lovely patterns for dresses and I delude myself into thinking, yes, I will definitely wear that dress. So I buy the pattern and make the dress.


Actually there are a few dresses from previous springs that are in current rotation. I always get complements when I wear the Memphis from the Sewing Workshop. It is so comfortable. So comfortable that I have trouble remembering to suck in my belly.


The dress that caught my seasonal attention this year is the Adeline from Style Arc. It looks great on almost everyone. I'm not yet convinced it looks great on me.


Since I'm trying to use stash, and I wanted something solid colored, I chose this piece of eggplant cotton sateen from Gail K. It was fairly inexpensive, as I recall, so I figured it would be a good piece to try.

Looks pretty good with the Tremont jacket, I think.
It does not have as much drape as some of the linen Adeline's I've ogled online. I would have loved to make a linen one but just cannot justify a fabric purchase at the moment. Maybe after I burrow through stash a bit more I'll make it again in a soft linen.



As I was making it, I began to worry that it would look like scrubs lengthened to dress length. That V neck and cut-on sleeves might give it that vibe.



I've had good luck with Style Arc patterns. The only trick is to remember they 3/8 inch seam allowance, as well as the 1/4 inch seam allowance on enclosed seams.

wrote myself a note on the back side of the fabric
The instructions are minimal but there's not much need with the Adeline. StyleArc patterns tend to be several notches above something so plain as hospital scrubs. And I think this one is nicely drafted to avoid that look.



It has good bones with its lantern shape and a slight high-low hem. It has big patch pockets. And you're supposed to roll up the sleeves. Both the neckline and the hem is faced. I like a faced hem, especially with top-stitching.



I made one minor change to the size 16, bringing the V up 1 inch. I am always leery of V necks because they tend to be too deep for me. I looked at lots of them on Instagram and Pattern Review. No one mentioned a too-low neck but you can't exactly raise the neckline after the fact.


I actually think I like it. My legs are not used to seeing the light of day, but I can wear leggings, maybe. At the very least, I'll wear it around the house, and maybe to the grocery.

5 comments:

  1. No one is looking at white legs. This dress will be so cool
    this summer. Wear and enjoy. It looks terrific on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the new Style Arc Sydney. I think you will like it much better. As for legs, I do a lot of yard work and last summer my arms got very tan...except I always wear gloves...and pants...and clogs. So I ended up with pale hands with brown arms. The top of my foot was dark but everything else a ghostly white! I was having OP surgery and was trying to cover my legs because it looked like the top of my foot was dirty and my legs were just a blinding white! Even my nurse(who I'd had before) said "Two words. Self Tanner". I wear cropped pants so I either have to get the Tanner or expose my legs to sun this year. I'm looking for cotton rich leggings to wear under dresses for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the suggestion to check out the Sydney pattern. It looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should come and stand by me with your white legs. Mine are whiter! LOL I think this dress is very flattering and looks so comfortable. Wear it! When it is hot and sticky, you will be getting some good circulation under that skirt. I wore scrubs for many years. This does not look like scrubs.

    ReplyDelete