Monday, April 8, 2019

TNT and My New Tool



There's a new tool floating around the sewing universe right now. Maybe you've seen it. I must say, it is very cool. It's a simple genius tool I wish I had thought of.

Mine is 12 inches in circumference rather than the 8 shown in this picture. I paid $10 for it from Linda Lee, rather than the $18 Amazon wants for the small version.


A week or so ago, I made a presentation at City Wide Couture concerning two-piece sleeves. Barbara mentioned that she had found a cool tool at the recent expo to replace this old-fashioned and error-prone technique. I vowed to watch for it.



Then I took a class with Linda Lee of the Sewing Workshop. She had curve runners with her and sold them. I didn't use it in her class but took it home and used it right away. I think it'll be an often used tool from now on. It's a winner.



My TNT is the Mix It top pattern from the Sewing Workshop. It's one I've made at least a dozen times. The pattern includes a shirt and a tank, but the top is my fave. It has a mandarin collar and loose cap sleeves. It fits through the shoulders and bust and flows elsewhere. It is my go-to for warm weather.



I often make mods to the neckline and the sleeves. On this version, I substituted a placket closure for the prescribed keyhole opening. For some reason, I always forget that I have to adjust the length of the collar stand to fit with the placket, so that required some creative piecing and use of a linen facing in purple.



I also used TSW's new technique for finishing side seams that have a vent. This technique is in the newest pattern, the Berwick. I would have made 3/4 length sleeves but did not have enough fabric.

damn
The fabric was an end cut from Louise Cutting, a silk twill. I just love it. The color is very rich and changes slightly depending on the light. I goofed when I cut the sleeves and so now I have a little boro patch on one shoulder. I'm fine with that.


The temps will hit the 70s F today so I may be making more of this TNT in cotton or linen.


No comments:

Post a Comment