Friday, July 9, 2021

Old Favorites - Mimosa and Plaza

For an easy and very satisfying summer sewing project, I made the Mimosa top and the Plaza pants. These come from two older patterns from the Sewing Workshop. I enjoyed making them when they came out and I still do.

The Mimosa top is a variation of a simple kimono style. It has two identical fronts that are closed by over-lapping them and attaching them to the side seams. Wrapped tightly enough, that's all the closure that is needed. I hope.

My fabric is a slightly nubby 100% cotton shot that reads light-medium teal, but more blue.

The original Plaza pants have a front tuck down the center front and no side seams. By omitting the front tuck and overlapping to two pattern pieces, it makes an easy pair of straight-leg pants. I cropped the length too. 

I think this pattern is just right for a vertical stripe. The striped cotton is from the same line as the solid blue, both purchased at Five-Eighth Seams in Charleston, SC.

After my last head-scratcher, these were something of a relief. I had sewn both before, though it had been a while for the Mimosa top. The only challenge was that I was away from home, babysitting grandkids and so I was working in less-than-ideal sewing conditions.

I brought my sweet little Featherweight 222K and it was also a pleasure to sew with. I did have to improvise on seam finishes for the Mimosa side seams because I did not have my serger. With the little vent, it's hard to use either French seams or Flat-fell seams, my go-to seam finishes with this old machine. 

Instead of these options, I simply sewed 1/4" from the raw edge and then the usual 5/8" seam allowance. I may go back and *pink* the edges - another old-fashioned technique! They might not fray much though.

I used bias tubes to make ties rather than using buttons. 

There's not much to be said about the Plaza pants. I do like their signature flat front on the waistband though.

It's nice to have a fresh new ensemble for these hot summer days!

2 comments: