Sunday, February 17, 2013

Design Mending a la Jude

running stitch then combination wrap stitch
As I have mentioned previously here, I have been enrolled in Jude Hill's classes recently. I am letting it steep, trying some little samples here and there. Not trying to force it.

One of my favorite garments is a kimono made out of a 7 ounce denim - not as sturdy as indigo, I expect, but it was the closest I could come to indigo at the time I made it. I have now discovered sources online, like especially Shibori Girl.

As denim does, this one is beginning to show wear at the edges. First it fades to white, then it begins to fray. And without my taking note, the entire garment has become a softer blue, a softer textile, a softer item to wear.

Today I am adding some stitch to the edge to provide a buffer from normal wear. It's a stitch I made up, but it is probably not original with me.

I started with a running stitch all along the edge. Next I anchored a thread at one end and began to wrap the running stitch on both sides - moving from a stitch on the front to a stitch on the back.

Looking a little faded. I like it.

To me the resulting stitch looks like bird tracks. I'll call it the bird track stitch for now.

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminds me of a wonderful book that a friend of mine shared with me. It's about vintage Japanese garments, garments that were worn by the working class and how they mended and preserved them. I found it so inspiring. I will get the info on the book and pass it on to you.

    ReplyDelete