Thursday, May 18, 2017

Indygo Junction Urban Tunic



This is a tunic I finished before I left for my trip to Paris. I even wore it once to dinner. Now I finally have time to blog about it.

I love it.

The Urban Tunic from Indygo Junction first came to my attention at Camp Runamuck, where Theresa discusses weaving, sewing, and the state of the union. I loved her versions and now believe I'll be making various versions of it too.


I made a partial toile (muslin) before cutting into my black linen. Much was revealed. I could see that I needed to lower the bust point about an inch, add a bit for hip room, and carefully ease in some fullness in the front armscye where gaposis was beginning. I also added 3 inches to the length so that it would be a dress, rather than a tunic. 



I chose the view with the cowl neckline. I like this in principle but in practice it is a little low for my comfort. I wore it last night with a necklace and that helped a bit.


I love the pockets. They are the simple in-seam style with little bulk because the pocket is stitched to the dress. I prefer this over a loose pocket with extra floppy bulk right where I don't want it. 


I finished the armscye with bias binding made from the black linen. It's a finish that appeals to me more than facings, at least in this case.


The additional 3 inches I added to the length did make this long enough to be considered a dress. Just. I added another bias strip of the linen to the hemline using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Then I pressed it to the wrong side and top-stitched three times to secure it. I left the edge of the bias raw on the inside of the hem to avoid a lump.


I'd like to make another Urban Tunic soon, perhaps with the boat neck. That is the neckline used in my toile and it is just right. It might be that if I make this in a lighter color, I'll be brave enough to wear it with naked legs. My legs are so pale, it would almost have to be a white dress. We'll see.


In sum, I highly recommend this pattern and expect to be making more as tunics and, maybe, dresses. You know how it is with dresses. They are not the first item I grab when I'm getting dressed in the morning. 


2 comments:

  1. Comfy and elegant at the same time! Your version is sooooo much nicer than the examples on the company's website! That pattern has definite possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful Martha! I always do self bias binding instead of facings. I find that putting tunic on the mannequin the easiest option for doing that collar. I don't know how the pattern has you do it, but I sew the wrong side first, bring the collar to the front(I've ironed a fold line), pin and then sew, sort of like a big fat binding I guess! It would make an awesome maxi dress in the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete